Skip to main content

and Now.. A Return to Regularly Scheduled Writing

Greetings and Happy New Year! 

It has been quite some time since I've submitted something for your consideration. I think it is appropriate to call it a "Brief Intermission." If you are here for the first time, I encourage you to go back and read the older post. 

If you are returning, 
Welcome Back! 

In the first iteration of this project, I focused a great deal on being a source of encouragement to those in need. Although these posts may not resonate with each individual that chooses to click the link. The hope.. something you read you will find can be shared with someone else.

I took some time to read my previous postings. In reflecting on some of the things I discussed then, it is interesting to see how far things have moved away from that starting point. 

During that time.. (2018) 
  • I was miserable.. to myself and to those around me
  • I lost a whole lot of weight (in the most unhealthy way) I think I got as low as 150 lbs. at one point. 
  • I was unemployed for a significant amount of time 
  • I was managing loss and looking for all the wrong things to fill the gaps left behind.
Even talking about it now, I am eternally grateful for that portion of my testimony. At that time, a friend of mine gave me a canvas. I think it was for my birthday, I honestly don't remember. But, the quote on the canvas was integral to navigating that dark time in my life. 

-The quote 
“Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving... you will come to a better place.”

For those unfamiliar,  this gem comes form Uncle Iroh (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

Though the words come from a character, the message is something I echo to the students I work with on a daily basis. I work with a Nonprofit in Monterey County connecting students to social and educational services. We specialize in students who are underserved and disconnected from traditional pathways to success. Our role in their lives varies depending on their individual needs. 

One thing I am finding in my work, is the pandemic's negative impact on motivations.  The time inside appears to have altered folks' willingness to be challenged and their determination to push through those challenges. 

I was invited to bring the message at a friend's church recently. We discussed "The Push." Using the story of Samson as a frame, the modern need for resiliency in the face of adversity. While there will always be roadblocks, there are a few things to recognize..  
  • Roadblocks are a sign you are headed in the right direction.
  • The detours are necessary for the journey. 
  • The journey is sometimes worth more than the destination. 
It is easy to become discouraged when facing arduous situations along the path. How we respond to those situations is what determines what comes of the situation. Go back and read my post about learning to ride a bike lol

Some paths aren't direct. This is where belief in yourself and trusting the process come into play. The serious difficulty comes with fighting the current. The experience gained on what seems to be a meaningless side quest may prove to be valuable as you level up. 

Immediately, what comes to mind is the Zen proverb "the obstacle is the path." Simply put, challenges aren't there to be avoided but, to be traversed. Ultimately, providing us with an opportunity to improve and discover new skills to address what is coming next. My personal mantra is "It's just a part of the adventure."  

I thank you for your time and attention. I hope you found this to be somewhat useful. I would love to hear from you! 

If you've made it to this point in the post, I am asking you to share it with just one other person. I have set a goal to have 100 views on this post. Each one is appreciated. 

I just want to leave you with one last quote to carry with you when you leave here. 

"Don't seek to have events happen as you wish, but wish them to happen as they do happen, and all will be well with you.”
-Epictetus

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Architecture of Happiness

Happiness is often treated like a destination—some distant place we will arrive at once the right conditions fall into place.  A better job, a stronger relationship, more money, more time.  The narrative is tidy: fix the variables, and happiness will follow. But life rarely obeys such clean equations. If anything, happiness behaves less like a finish line and more like a structure we are always in the process of building—sometimes consciously, often not. One of the more uncomfortable truths is that happiness does not emerge automatically from favorable circumstances.  History and everyday experience both show that people can possess abundance and still feel hollow, while others with very little report a deep sense of contentment. This suggests that happiness is not simply a function of what we have, but of how we relate to it. At its core, happiness seems tied to attention.  Not the fleeting, distracted attention we scatter across notifications and obligations, but a...

Lessons from the Padre

Hey Everyone!  Firstly, thank you all for the support with regards to my last posting. Soon after posting a number of people reached out to me. Not only to show their support but to just talk about some of the things they were going through. My hope as we continue is that we find the strength to pursue our passions despite how uncomfortable it may seem.  With that said. Let's get started August for me is usually characterized by avoiding social interaction whilst trying to distract myself with work and other fruitless mundanities. For those of you who know me on a more personal level, you all know that August 28th is the date of my father's passing. This year will be 10 years since his passing. Though a great deal of time has passed, I recognize that there is still some healing being done.  Before I continue, I would like to highlight that this piece will not be sad in any way. :) More so an exploration into a more positive and uplifting point of view.  A...